Faringdon Town Council are working on several ways to regenerate the Town Centre. We have set aside some funds to install benches in the Market Place. We would like these benches and planters to reflect the heritage and personality of Faringdon.
We are keen to hear from artists who can see the creative opportunity in Faringdon. We are looking for experienced artists and crafts people explore ideas, propose designs and create functional features for the town centre in Faringdon, specifically bollards, planters and seating for the main square.
The brief for the artists will be;
- To design and make a unique and interactive sculptural benches and bollards that could incorporate planters and possibly signage for the town square.
- Create a unique and distinctive feature that is of high quality: work which is durable and easy to maintain, and which integrates with the functional requirements of the immediate area.
- Explore artistic work that strengthens the personality and identity of the development, in an innovative and engaging way, drawing in local natural history and story of the town for inspiration.
- To use the process of design and creation to help residents and community groups and find a voice to help shape their community through artistic features in a high-profile location.
- Preferred materials; stone, but could incorporate other materials such as metal, wood or stone.
Artists fees for this proposal stage will be up to £1,000 (depending on the artists method of design and community engagement). This will include fees for the artist’s time for planning, research, studio design time and community engagement work.
After the designs are approved (both formally through formal planning permission and through the community endorsing the proposals), the remaining budget will be allocated for the creation of the artworks (including transport, installation and publicity, and depending on the designs proposed).
The project has a commissioning budget of £6,000 to realise the work, with a further £4,500 available for main bench feature. This budget must cover all costs associated with creating (both time and materials for the work), community engagement, transport of work, installation of the artwork, interpretation, unveiling events, publicity etc
The town council will select no more than 4 artists based on their ‘expressions of interest’ attend an interview to discuss their approach to this commission and express initial approach to the project.
|Brief circulated and approved||November|
|Advertise for artists|
|Deadline for Expressions of Interest||25th November|
|Selection/ shortlisting||27th November|
|Community consultation to start at|
|Permissions and approvals|
|Community celebration unveiling|
Artists’ Expression of Interest should include:
least 6 images / examples of your previous work
- An Artist Statement detailing your inspiration and your work
- A CV with your full contact details and references of at least 2 previous commissioners of your work
- A short statement on why this project appeals to you
Artists must have Public Liability insurance and a current DBS check.
Expressions of interest should be emailed to Sally Thurston – firstname.lastname@example.org by noon on Monday 25th November 2019.